Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Nature" by Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood. His intercourse with heaven and earth, becomes part of his daily food. In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. Nature says, -- he is my creature, and maugre all his impertinent griefs, he shall be glad with me. Not the sun or the summer alone, but every hour and season yields its tribute of delight; for every hour and change corresponds to and authorizes a different state of the mind, from breathless noon to grimmest midnight."


Reflection:
Reflecting on the passage it makes me feel almost envious of a child. The innocence they possess enable them to see the world in a light of wonder and awe. As Emerson says it is true that adult cannot see the world in such a way as a child does because they let their knowledge hinder them from appreciation nature. For example an adult knows that the plants are green because of photosynthesis but a child does ponder about how but instead appreciates it just as it is. However those adults who are connected with nature become spiritually enthralled with nature so much so that it becomes a desire. Those who are transcendentalist are able to embrace nature at anytime of the day and at any season and still feel the same appreciation and amazement.
Diary:
It is mid September and I sit on the golden shores of wrightsville beach. I let the sun warm my back and as I stare into the endless cycle of the waves slapping the shore. The overwhelming sensation of warmth from the sun and the peaceful droning of the waves puts me into a languid mood. The warm breeze stirs blows my hair across my face and seagrass effortlessly dances in the wind. I am iridescently happy. I am scared that I will never be able to feel as content as I am in these moments.

0 comments: